By Jan Edmiston, DMin ’01
Almost every church I’ve ever known has wanted to Attract Young Families. The reasoning behind this includes the following:
- If we don’t regenerate, everyone will eventually get old and die.
- It’s energizing to have young people around.
- Younger members can do the work that older members can’t/won’t do anymore.
- Older members tend to be on fixed incomes and younger working members are needed for their pledges.
- Young families (i.e. mom, dad, and kids) remind us of church when we were (or wish we were) part of young families.
There are a few things wrong with this reasoning, including the fact that “attracting” people in general feels manipulative – as if people are “targets” to be used for our own purposes. Yuck.
View original post 671 more words